Enlist Our Family to Support Yours: Let Us Help You Through It All.

Will Spousal Support Apply In Your Texas Divorce?

Marriages, whether they last or not, usually involve a contribution of both parties. But because of this, two people who are ending their marriage to one another are not always on equal financial footing when they stand apart. In these divorce cases, some amount of financial support from the spouse who is better off may be a remedy.

Kara K. Egwuatu, Attorney At Law, Can Help Determine Whether Spousal Support Will Be Part Of Your Divorce

Sugar Land spousal support attorney, Kara K. Egwuatu represents both husbands and wives in the Sugar Land area and throughout Sugar Land, Fort Bend and Harris counties in alimony-related concerns. Ms. Egwuatu has more than 10 years of experience in these matters and has helped 100’s of families through these tough times.


Until recently, Texas was the only state in the country that did not consider alimony in divorce proceedings. However, new changes in the law make it possible on the basis of a number of factors — for courts to award financial support to one spouse after their marriage has ended.

Although this support is generally limited in its amount and duration, it can nonetheless be critical to the well-being of the spouse who needs it.

The law office of Kara K. Egwuatu can also help spouses who want to make appropriate modifications to their spousal support agreements.

For experienced representation in issues related to spousal maintenance, contact divorce lawyer Kara K. Egwuatu today.

Call (281) 606-5188 for guidance and representation in a divorce including spousal support.


Answers To Your Most Commonly Asked Questions

The right place where you cand find the answers to your questions regarding family law

Alimony is periodic payments from one spouse for the support of the other spouse.

Yes, but it is referred to differently depending on whether it is ordered while a divorce is pending which is temporary spousal support, or Court-ordered in a divorce decree which is “maintenance,” or agreed upon by the parties as part of the terms of a final Court order which is generally called “contractual alimony.”


Among other things, generally if one of the following circumstances exists:

  • A spouse is convicted of a crime or received deferred adjudication for a crime that also constitutes domestic violence within 2 years of the filing of the suit, or while the divorce is pending; or
  • The spouses have been married for at least 10 years, and the financial resources of the spouse seeking maintenance are limited; and
  • The spouse seeking maintenance.
    • Is unable to be self-supporting due to an incapacitating physical or mental disability; or
    • Has custody of a child who requires substantial and continuous care, making it impractical and inappropriate for that spouse to work outside the home; or
    • Clearly lacks the ability to earn a living, which would meet that spouse’s minimum reasonable needs.

Return to Top