Enlist Our Family to Support Yours: Let Us Help You Through It All.

Richmond Paternity Lawyer

Establish Paternity for Child Support & Custody Matters

A paternity action is a legal proceeding to establish the identity of a child’s father. Establishing paternity often requires genetic testing.

Establishing paternity can be an important step in:

  • Protecting your right to visitation or custody
  • Obtaining the proper amount of child support
  • Resolving disputes regarding custody, child support, and parenting plans

Regardless of your exact situation, rest assured that The Law Office of Kara K. Egwuatu, PLLC has your best interests in mind. With Attorney Kara Egwuatu on your side, you are better equipped to achieve your goals and to find a favorable resolution to your legal matter.

Contact us online or call (281) 606-5188 to discuss your paternity matter with our team.

Get the Support You Need

If you are a single parent supporting your child on your own, you deserve financial support from your child’s other parent. Without legally established paternity, you might not receive the payments you need to care for your child. Whether you are unsure who your child’s father is, or your partner is denying paternity to avoid paying support, The Law Office of Kara K. Egwuatu, PLLC can help.

We offer comprehensive representation focused on establishing paternity to ensure that you get the support you need. Attorney Kara Egwuatu can apply her knowledge of the law to ensure that you can establish paternity through DNA testing.

Establish Paternity to Remain a Part of Your Child’s Life

If you are a father who has been denied custody or visitation rights to your child, you can pursue legal action to establish paternity and protect your visitation or custody rights.

In the past, courts were more likely to grant a mother custody or better visitation rights. Today, courts are much more likely to treat both parents as equals – though biases still exist. To ensure that you can remain in your child’s life, retain representation from The Law Office of Kara K. Egwuatu, PLLC.

Consult with Our Fort Bend County Paternity Attorney

Even if you and your spouse can negotiate amicably, it is best to have an experienced attorney review a settlement before you agree to anything. Attorney Kara Egwuatu takes a calm, collected, and results-driven approach to paternity matters to help parents achieve their goals and support their children.

To learn more about your parental rights, contact our office online or by calling (281) 606-5188.


Answers To Your Most Commonly Asked Questions

The right place where you cand find the answers to your questions regarding family law

This is a lawsuit to determine a legal biological parent.

A paternity suit may be filed to establish the biological father or mother of the child.

Generally, the mother, the man claiming to be the father, the child (either individually or through a representative) or governmental agency may file the suit.

A suit can be filed at any time before the child is born and up until two years after the child is an adult, which is generally 18 years of age. This area of the law fluctuates often, and a skilled attorney should be consulted.

To establish the child’s legal relationship with a biological parent and to establish child support, visitation, or custody. In certain cases, possibly to reimburse the biological mother for prenatal and postnatal expenses.

If the parties do not agree on the parentage, the Court may order blood test on the parties.

If the parties cannot agree, the Court will decide.

The lab will prepare a report for the Court. If the test shows that the named parent is NOT the biological parent, the Court will dismiss the case. If the test shows that the named parent is at least 99% sure to be the parent (no test is 100%), the Court will decide custody, visitation, and support if the parties cannot agree.

Generally, the Court may enter an order giving the child the father’s last name. However, in some circumstances, the child will retain the mother’s last name.

Under Texas law, the mother’s husband is presumed to be the father of the child. A suit may be brought to have the biological father named as the legal father; which is called a paternity suit.

A paternity suit can be brought by the mother, the husband, the man who claims to be the father, a government agency, or a child-placing agency.

This type of suit may be brought if a husband and wife are divorced and one of the parties claim that the other spouse is not the biological parent of the child. This type of suit may also be initiated by the person claiming to be the biological parent. What if a biological father does not want to have anything to do with the child and wants to proceed to terminate his rights to the child? A proceeding for the termination of his rights may be filed by the mother, but a request by the biological father is frowned upon by the Courts.

Of course. The case can be settled between the parties and their attorneys or through mediation, which is discussed in the “Mediation” section on collaborative law. If you settle without mediation, the Court may appoint an attorney to make sure that the child’s interest is protected under the law. The Court must approve the settlement before the parties implement it.

A voluntary paternity (parentage) suit is filed when a parent acknowledges that he/she is the biological parent of a child and the parents are not married.

Return to Top