Enlist Our Family to Support Yours: Let Us Help You Through It All.

Sugar Land Attorney Assisting With Grandparents' Rights

Turn To Kara K. Egwuatu’s Family Law Practice In Sugar Land For Answers And Help

While it is very difficult to obtain custody and grandparent visitation if you are not a direct biological parent, it is not impossible. Grandparents have rights to custody of children if certain extraordinary factors exist.

From law offices in Sugar Land, lawyer Kara K. Egwuatu has been protecting the rights of Texas families for more than 10 years. Taking a close look at your situation, she will help you understand your rights and options. She is prepared to work with you to develop a plan that will protect the children you love to the best of her ability and as the law permits.


The courts’ first priority is always to do what is best for the children involved in a divorce or custody dispute. If you are a grandparent, many factors must be evaluated before you file suit. Even if you do not have the standing necessary to pursue custody, a family law attorney can advise you of other ways to pursue your objective: a stable lifestyle for your grandchildren and consistent access to them.


There are multiple alternatives to taking legal action if you are interested in securing custody as a grandparent. Taking your case straight to court is not always the best option. You are often more likely to succeed through mediation. A good mediator can negotiate with parents and grandparents to reach a favorable settlement.

As an experienced family lawyer, attorney Egwuatu will advocate for your rights by helping you understand your options given your situation. If necessary, she is ready and willing to take a case to court, perhaps to file for temporary custody, to protect your family’s interests. Call or send an email inquiry today to schedule a consultation and learn more.

Call (281) 606-5188 for guidance and passionate representation when grandparents’ rights are an issue.


Answers To Your Most Commonly Asked Questions

The right place where you cand find the answers to your questions regarding family law

Yes, under certain conditions.

The judge may order visitation with the grandchild if:

  • The parental rights of at least one parent have not been terminated; and
  • Visitation with your grandchild is in the grandchild’s best interest; and
  • At least one of the following is true:
    • Your child (a parent of your grandchild) has been incarcerated during the three month period prior to filing the petition, or has been found to be incompetent; or is dead;
    • The parents of your grandchild are divorced or have been living apart for at least three months; or Your grandchild has been abused or neglected by a parent; or
    • Your grandchild has been found by the Court to be a child in need of supervision; or
    • Your child (a parent of your grandchild) has had his or her parental rights to your grandchild terminated; or
    • Your grandchild has resided with you for at least six months during the last two years.

Possibly, but this area of the law is changing dramatically. You will need a skilled attorney to deal with this complex issue.

Return to Top